As we celebrate our nation’s freedom, we honor the courageous men and women dedicated to preserving it.
May we celebrate that precious freedom for which our forebearers fought so bravely and made the ultimate sacrifice.
May we never forget!
Memorial Day Facts
- Memorial Day pays tribute to those American soldiers who lost their lives.
- Memorial Day was first started as Decoration Day after the Civil War and was first celebrated on May 30, 1868
- Waterloo, NY is considered to be the birthplace of Memorial Day.
- In 1971, Memorial Day was established as an official holiday and is now celebrated on the last Monday in May
- In 2010, Congress passed and the President signed an act creating a National Moment of Remembrance which encourages people to stop at 3 PM for a moment of silence.
- 1,354,664 American Soldiers have lost their lives since the American Revolution